Welcome to Foster Family Matters
Thank you for joining us! Welcome to another episode of Foster Family Matters with your hosts Shawn Wilson, Ryan North, and Lori Fangue, LPC. Our show is a production of CK Family Services and we are a foster care, adoption, and behavioral health non-profit organization serving children and families in North and Central Texas.
What Are We Chatting About Today?
Today’s episode is part 5 of our 5-part series, The Four Tenets of Health Relationships. Jude Cassidy did some research and formulated a theory that there are four tenets that a secure relationship in order to be healthy and positive. The four tenants we are discussing are; giving nurture, receiving nurture, negotiating wants and needs and being interdependent. We will dive into each of these during our discussions. In this episode, we are looking at the important role that negotiation plays in the context of healthy relationships.
- Needs vs. Wants
- Get Good at Setting Boundaries
- Prioritize Teachable Moments
- Debating vs. Negotiating
- Keep it Playful
- Realize and Understand What You and Your Child are Bringing to the Negotiation
- Negotiation is a Skill to be Practiced and Improved
- Win, Win or No Deal Mindset
- More “YES” = Better Reception of “No”
- Create Hope
In the context of a healthy relationship, negotiate from the perspective of trying to meet the other person’s needs. You have to remember that you value the other person and that you want them to get what they want/need. So negotiate with a win, win mindset where all parties seek to leave with Hope.
Be mindful of your own identity and esteem. Your voice needs and deserves to be heard.
Connect With Our Hosts
The Show Website: www.fosterfamilymatters.org
The Show Facebook Group: www.facebook.com/groups/fosterfamilymatters
If you found value in today’s episode, remember to subscribe to the show (so you’ll be notified when we post new content) and share the link with your friends to spread the love.
Thank you for listening!
Latest posts by Shawn Wilson (see all)
- Wraparound and Skills Training Services Coming to Greater Austin Community - January 10, 2020
- Negotiation: Part 5 of the Four Tenets of Healthy Relationships - January 2, 2020
- Interdependence: Part 4 of the Four Tenets of Healthy Relationships - December 19, 2019